A super fun way to practice Punnett squares! Students start with a set of genotypes, which they use to complete the phenotype of one of six different birds. They then pair up with other students to complete Punnett Square crosses for their birds.
Practice Punnett Squares Activity includes:
- Google Slides with Bird outline and Genotypes: editable!
- Set of Student Sheets with Mendelian Dominant traits only: Six traits! Beak shape, feather color, eye color, leg length, head crown, and tail length
- Set of Student Sheets with Mendelian, Codominant and Incomplete Dominant traits: Seven traits! Beak shape, eye color belly pattern, head crown, tail length (incomplete), leg length (incomplete), and feather color (codominant).
- Teaching Guide
Each set of student sheets has six different birds. The sheet provides an outline of a bird to which students will add a beak, legs, tail, eyes, feathers etc based on the genotype of their bird. They will then partner up with another student and do two Punnett Square crosses with their birds and answer probability questions for their crosses. Then they move to another student and do the same, and again once more to make a total of six Punnett Squares.
The whole resource is 100% editable. Full Teaching Guide included.
Click here to see a preview of the Punnett Square Speed Dating Activity!
What some happy teachers are saying about the Punnett Square Speed Dating Activity:
The materials are well organized and easy to follow. My students enjoyed getting up and moving around the room to “speed date” and create punnett squares. – Shelby P. April 11, 2022
Students got a kick of this activity. Great, easy to use and helped them review their monohybrid crosses. – Connor B. May 15, 2022
I absolutely love doing activities that get the students moving and engaging with each other. Although my students knew quite a bit about Punnett Squares, this was a great way for me to see which students were still struggling and how to help. – Chelsie J. October 7, 2021
More Genetics Resources:
- Learn Genetics Vocabulary and How to Work a Punnett Square – DIGITAL interactive Google Slides!
- Genetics and Punnett Squares Review | DIGITAL Google Forms
- Fun Punnett Square Genetics Practice Review Dot Game! NO PREP! Print and Go!
- Digital Dragon Punnett Squares: Make a Baby Dragon
- Biology Heredity Writing Prompts Exit Tickets, Review- Distance Learning