This Natural Selection Review activity strongly reinforces the key concepts involved in natural selection in an engaging, brains-on way.
Key Concepts of Evolution:
- The potential for exponential population growth
- Genetic variation within a population
- Struggle for existence
- Differential survival – organisms with favorable adaptations are more likely to survive
- Inheritance – surviving organisms pass their favorable adaptation to their offspring
How it Works:
The resource centers around the famous example of Natural Selection – the Peppered Moth. There is a set of seven cards describing each step of Peppered Moth evolution during the Industrial Revolution. Students use this familiar example as a guide to put two additional sets of cards in the right order – one demonstrating the evolution of Rock Pocket Mice, and one demonstrating the evolution of Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria.
- Seven example cards about the evolution of the Peppered Moth
- Seven cards about the evolution of the Rock Pocket Mice for students to put in order
- Seven cards about the evolution of Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria for students to put in order
- Answer Key
- Full Teaching Guide with fun method of checking student work!
Click here to see a preview of the Natural Selection Review Activity!
What some happy teachers are saying about the Natural Selection Review Activity:
Great resource! Thanks! – Aledia E. January 18, 2022
Love these…exactly what i needed…thanks for sharing your work! – Cindy S. June 11, 2021
Nice small group EOC review activity. – Daryl J. December 15, 2018
Looking for more Evolution resources? Here are some of our favorites!
- Speciation Activity: Model Mutation, Natural Selection, and Evolution
- Digital Cladogram Activity – What Did T.rex Taste Like?
- Evolution of Life: History of Earth Timeline Activity: NO PREP