Simple and fun Human Hair Evidence Lab for forensics! The purpose of this activity is to give students a chance to see hair under a microscope, to identify and recognize the various characteristics of human hair, and to experience the challenge of matching hair to a suspect. They will also gain a deeper understanding of why hair is class evidence, and the danger of improper use of hair evidence in court.
Included in the Human Hair Evidence Lab resource:
- Google Slide with instructions for students for completing the lab
- Student Lab Sheet
- Student Lab Sheet Key
- Teacher Key Template
- Teaching Guide with easy to follow instructions
This activity has three parts:
- Students start with analyzing their own hair
- Then work to identify an unknown hair from a sample of suspects
- As an extension activity, watch a 20 minute video clip (free on YouTube) about the faulty use of hair evidence. Students answer questions as they watch
Materials Needed to complete the lab:
- Microscope slides
- Clear tape for securing the hairs on the slides
- Sandwich bags – at least one per student plus a few more
- Gallon sized bags – one per group
- Paper for making evidence bindles
More resources for the Trace Evidence Unit to come! It will include Hairs, Fibers, Paint, Soil, Glass and Powders.
Currently available in the Trace Evidence Unit:
- Introduction to Trace Evidence: Locard Exchange Activity
- Human Hair Evidence Notes + Review
- Human Hair Lab
- Animal Hair Evidence Notes + Lab + Review
- Fiber Evidence Notes + Review
- Fiber Evidence Case Study: Wayne Williams
- Fiber Evidence Lab: Four Analysis Tests!
- Hair and Fiber Evidence Test
Click HERE to see the full Pacing Guide and know how this resource fits into the whole Forensic Science Curriculum.
Click here to see a preview of the Human Hair Evidence resource!
Here is what some happy teachers are saying about this resource in our Teachers Pay Teachers store!
The slides are well done. Easy to follow. I used them to build a lab activity around. Thank you for putting them together. – Lillian A. January 9, 2023
More BUDLES from Science of Curiosity! All Complete Forensic Science Units:
- Tire Impression Evidence Unit: BUNDLE | Distance Learning
- Forensic Science Basics Unit BUNDLE Distance Learning
- Blood Spatter and Blood Evidence Unit BUNDLE- Notes, Activities, Lab
- Forensic DNA Fingerprinting / DNA Evidence BUNDLE Notes, Activity, Project
- Death Investigation BUNDLE – Autopsy, Decay, Bugs and Bones!
- Forensic Fingerprint Evidence BUNDLE
- Ballistics Evidence Unit BUNDLE