This Video Guide includes 21 questions that follow one of the most excellent science videos I have seen, “BBC Hidden Life of the Cell”. Most questions are fill in the blank, with four open ended questions to The video can be found free on he internet and is about 60 minutes long.
Includes an Answer Key!
Here is a link to the video on Daily Motion (if this link does not work, search the web for ‘BBC Hidden Life of the Cell”)
The purpose of the video is to show the ‘epic battle’ between the human body and the virus as they seek to infiltrate the nucleus and forge a viral army!
The Hidden Life of the Cell video guide contains:
- Working computer animation of many cell parts: (cell membrane, nucleus, golgi body, cytoskeleton, mitochondria, proteasome, motor proteins)
- Production and function of antibodies by White Blood Cells
- Is ‘virus’ alive or not alive
- How virus gets into our body, our cells, our nucleus
- How the viral DNA is used to make a ‘virus army’
- How the infected cell signals the body’s immune response
- Brief discussion of the co-evolution of human and virus
- The cell ‘loses the battle’ but the body ‘wins the war!’
This video is the one of the best science documentaries ever! Amazing visuals, awesome narration, dramatic music, solid content – everything you could want in a Science video! The animation is extremely well done, and the story line is great. My students always enjoy it!
I show The Hidden Life of the Cell in the middle of my Cell Parts and Functions unit, after students have become familiar with the parts of the cell. As cell parts are featured in the film I pause and let students identify each part and function.
It also serves as a link later on to talk about Gene Therapy – the students remember how the virus got its own DNA into the cell, so it is an easy bridge to discuss how we can use the virus as a vector in Gene Therapy!
There are twelve 5-star reviews for the Hidden Life of the Cell Video Guide on Teachers Pay Teachers.
What some happy teachers are saying about it:
Great resource! Thank you! – Casey B. – January 20, 2021Thanks, kept kids engaged during film. – Jennifer O. – December 11, 2019Great for keeping students on track with the video. – Melanie L. – December 9, 2019
More Cell resources!
- NEW! Cell Membrane Transport Activity, Hands On Cell Membrane Model | Digital + Print Let your students SEE membrane transport by making it on their desk, or drag and drop on the computer!
- Cell Organelle Notes and Activity – Digital and Printable! NO PREP, students work independently to complete, great for a Sub or distance learning!
- Cell Organelle Review Dot Game!
- Biology Cells Writing Prompts Exit Tickets, Review
- Cell Parts Activity – Making Connections | Digital
- Cell Membrane Transport and Homeostasis Doodle Notes
- Cell Parts & Membrane Transport Review | DIGITAL Google Forms