Ecology writing prompts – aligned to Biology and Earth Science curriculums. Thirteen Google Forms with robust questions to get students thinking and writing about living systems. 100% digital, no prep – great for in class and distance learning!
Ecology Writing Prompts: Real-life applications
- Animal Adaptations – looking at the adaptations of an animal can give us an idea of the habitat that organism evolved in
- Energy Pyramids – what happens to energy as it moves up the trophic levels? Why are more animals found on the 2nd trophic level than the 4th trophic level? What if we applied these ideas to what we eat as humans?
- Nitrogen Cycle – importance of the Nitrogen Fixing bacteria and decomposers!
- Population Dynamics – predator / prey and competition interactions
- Biodiversity – how are we losing it?
- Invasive Species – examples, causes, solutions
- Bioaccumulation – impact on humans, by humans
- Review of Sexual vs Asexual Reproduction – advantages and disadvantages
- Specific types of Asexual Reproduction – fun creative writing prompt!
- Human Activities – impact on the environment of building a coal burning power plant
- Human Activities – impact on the environment of carpooling
- Human Activities – solving the problems we created
- Overconsumption of Resources – choices and consequences
Writing Prompt Questions with Google Forms
All writing prompts are open ended questions. You will see what your students know, and don’t know, about a topic. Get them thinking deeply, recalling learned information, and putting ideas together in their own words. All forms have a ten point rubric, with built in ‘feedback’ (answers). No Prep feedback that is fully editable!
Writing prompts are great for review to organize ideas – perfect for openers, exit tickets, and homework. These can also be used as essay questions for assessments.
Each Google Form topic is broken up into several sub-questions to help students think through their ideas, and not forget to answer part of the question! Sub-questions also make grading easier.
Teacher guide explains how to easily share the forms with your students, grade them, and send the graded forms back to them.
Click to see a preview of the Ecology Writing Prompts!
The Ecology Writing Prompts question set has eleven 5-star reviews on Teachers Pay Teachers.
What some happy teachers are saying about it:
Great resource! My students did well with these and I was able to edit the questions to suit my needs! – Amy A. – August 8, 2020
My students loved this resource. They were very engaged and it was very easy for them to use. The prep time was minimal for me and made planning my lesson so much easier. – April M. – October 21, 2021
This resource has really come in handy during this challenging time. The Google Forms can be edited and used for reviews and quizzes. They’ve been a great time-saver and a very effective tool. Thank you! – Jon B. – October 20, 2020
This is a great set of prompts to have our students continue to write while learning science! – Allison B. – September 30, 2020
We have a whole year’s worth of Google Form Open Ended Questions!
- : 6 Questions
- : 13 Questions
- : 9 Questions
- : 8 Questions
- : 10 Questions
- BUNDLE and save – get the entire year’s worth of question sets!
Full Set of Biology Google Form review questions: multiple choice!
- BUNDLE of digital multiple choice questions! Sets for Biomolecules, Enzymes, Genetics, Evolution, and Protein Synthesis! Three hundred twenty five multiple choice questions on 29 Google Forms.