What is more fun than making Punnett Squares? Making DRAGON Punnett Squares! This resource is perfect to get your students up and engaged in genetics.
There are two versions of the activity: Mendelian Dominant Only traits, and All Patterns, which includes Codominant and Incomplete Dominant traits. Differentiate for your students!
The idea is for students to work in pairs to cross their own dragons and make a baby dragon.
How does the Dragon Punnett Square Activity Work?
First they will need to make their own dragon. There are six different dragons to choose from! Using the provided Genotypes, students will complete the Phenotype for their dragon. Does it breath fire? Does it have curled horns or strait? What shape are the dragon’s scales? All traits are provided on the slides as drag-and-drop elements! Everything is 100% digital!
Once the dragon Phenotype is complete, students are ready to find a partner! Students follow instructions on the Google Slides to cross each trait of their dragons to find the possible offspring genotypes. Students roll a digital die to find out which genotype their dragon baby will get!
When all of the punnett squares are complete, students use the drag and drop phenotype elements to make their baby dragon.
- Mendelian Traits Only Dragons have six traits: horn shape, tail shape, body color, eye color, fire ability, and wing claws
- All Patterns Dragons have seven traits: horn shape, tail shape, eye color, wing claws, fire ability (incomplete) body color (incomplete), and scale shape (codominant).
The whole resource is 100% editable. Full Teaching Guide included.
Click here to see a preview of the Dragon Punnett Squares Activity!
What some happy teachers are saying about the Dragon Punnett squares Activity:
My students loved this dragon activity! They were able to learn about Punnett squares and inheritance of traits using a fun, engaging activity. – Dawn C . April 5, 2022
Great product!!! 🙂 – I.T. June 4, 2021
This was a great way to introduce/review inheritance patterns and I loved the option of either Mendelian or complex inheritance patterns! – Ms Sparkle May 24, 2021
More Genetics Resources:
- Learn Genetics Vocabulary and How to Work a Punnett Square – DIGITAL interactive Google Slides!
- Genetics and Punnett Squares Review | DIGITAL Google Forms
- Fun Punnett Square Genetics Practice Review Dot Game! NO PREP! Print and Go!
- Speed Dating Punnett Squares – Cross your Birds Activity
- Biology Heredity Writing Prompts Exit Tickets, Review- Distance Learning