Learn animal hair evidence! This resource is designed to teach the basics of animal hair identification. Students will review the structure of hair, learn the three common cuticle patterns, and the five most common medulla patterns. This gives them the vocabulary to describe and differentiate between the hairs of cats, dogs, deer, rodents and rabbits.
The Animal Hair Lab guides students to observe actual slides of these same five animals, plus any additional animal hair samples your students bring to class! The Lab also includes an ‘Unknown’ hair sample that students must identify.
While not absolutely necessary, it is assumed that students have already been introduced to human hair as evidence, and are familiar with the basics of human hair in order to compare it to animal hair. Check out the resource if you need a way to teach the subject!
Included in this Animal Hair Evidence resource:
- Google Slide set for taking notes and instructions for the Lab
- Student Notes Sheet
- Key for Notes Sheet
- Student Lab Sheet
- Google Form Review – 10 multiple choice questions
- Teaching Guide with complete instructions for setting up the lab, along with time savers and ideas to make the lesson easier on you!
Materials Needed for the Lab:
- Clear nail polish
- Clear tape
- Animal hairs! dogs, cats, deer, rabbits, rodents, etc (donated by students in the class)
More resources for the Trace Evidence Unit to come! It will include Hairs, Fibers, Paint, Soil, Glass and Powders.
Currently available in the Trace Evidence Unit:
- Introduction to Trace Evidence: Locard Exchange Activity
- Human Hair Evidence Notes + Review
- Human Hair Lab
- Animal Hair Evidence Notes + Lab + Review
- Fiber Evidence Notes + Review
- Fiber Evidence Case Study: Wayne Williams
- Fiber Evidence Lab: Four Analysis Tests!
- Hair and Fiber Evidence Test
Click HERE to see the full Pacing Guide and know how this resource fits into the whole Forensic Science Curriculum.
Click here to see a preview of the Animal Hair Evidence resource!
Here is what some happy teachers are saying about this resource in our Teachers Pay Teachers store!
No reviews yet! This resource is brand new!
More BUDLES from Science of Curiosity! All Complete Forensic Science Units:
- Tire Impression Evidence Unit: BUNDLE | Distance Learning
- Forensic Science Basics Unit BUNDLE Distance Learning
- Blood Spatter and Blood Evidence Unit BUNDLE- Notes, Activities, Lab
- Forensic DNA Fingerprinting / DNA Evidence BUNDLE Notes, Activity, Project
- Death Investigation BUNDLE – Autopsy, Decay, Bugs and Bones!
- Forensic Fingerprint Evidence BUNDLE
- Ballistics Evidence Unit BUNDLE